I have been saying for many years that people should be able to obtain their mineral requirements from food. A quick glance at nature will reveal a glorious presentation of minerals and corresponding vitamins packed in beautiful packages full of fiber and other essential digestive supports. Unfortunately, we are all becoming painfully aware that depleted soils and food processing has left much of our food depleted of these essential nutrients.
The role of minerals in the body’s performance is well documented and the deficiency of minerals in health has caused many scientists, doctors, and researchers to warn the public of their concerns:
- Recently zinc deficiency has come to the forefront of the public mind as it is an indicator for COVID 19 symptoms [loss of taste and smell] – and, reciprocally, zinc has been added as part of the COVID treatment protocol in hospitals around the world*.
- The Linus Pauling Institute reports that “Potassium is considered to be a ‘nutrient of public health concern’ according to the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans since its under consumption in the U.S. population is associated with adverse health effects.”
- Cardiovascular researchers Dr. James DiNicolantino, et. al declared subclinical magnesium deficiency a principal driver of cardiovascular disease and a public health crisis 
- Iodine deficiency is still considered a global health crisis. Iodine is needed for the proper function of the thyroid and requires 8 additional minerals, in their proper ratios, in order to serve the thyroid properly.
- In 2017 I issued a Call to Action for the health care community declaring magnesium deficiency a public health crisis citing 65 different health conditions that have magnesium deficiency at their epicenter.
Still, and to this day, the public gets mixed messages from doctors and hospitals about the importance of minerals. Widespread mineral deficiencies are often treated with drugs not minerals and if that seems counter-intuitive, well, it is.
In addition to ignoring the consistent, daily requirement for proper mineralization, many health care practitioners are quick to overlook the effects of dehydration. For example, a dehydrated body is a sick body yet diuretic drugs are still the first treatment of choice for newly diagnosed hypertension. A properly calibrated daily intake of magnesium and potassium along with an infusion of clear, clean sea-salted water is the body’s natural design for balanced blood pressure and is beneficial for all systems in the body.
Yes, I love minerals because the body loves minerals and I am committed to educating one and all about their elegant, beneficial nature.
*Although tonight’s topic does include the benefits of zinc, please note there are currently no vaccines or drugs or dietary supplements approved to treat or prevent COVID-19. Although there are investigational COVID-19 vaccines and treatments under development, these investigational products are in the early stages of product development and have not yet been fully tested for safety or effectiveness.